Saturday, September 27, 2014

Just a thought....about neighborhoods

I've been thinking about what is and isn't in my neighborhood (a short walking distance that feels comfortable and quick). What is: 3 diners (2 with the same owners, 1 sometimes operating as a sports bar), 1 real sports bar, 3 chinese takeouts, 3 supermarkets, 2 dry cleaners (same owners) 8 so-called delis, 4 bodegas, 2 jamaican food spot/restaurant, 1 caribbean/cuchifrito restaurant, 6 fast food spots (I'm including 2 dunkin donuts), and more. What isn't: a hardware store, a florist, a bakery.

On a walk beyond my usual perimeter (not that far, just not a quick run and includes a steeper hill). Here's what I noticed: 2 florists, 2 bakeries, 3 hardware stores, a myriad of dollar stores, restaurants & food spots (jamaican, spanish, african), bodegas & at least 1 supermarket, and more.

This leads me to wonder about my definition of neighborhood. Is it about what's in closest proximity or is it further, say a train stop or a bus ride away? Is it even further maybe taking a 30 minute walk or 20 minute bus ride?  Maybe it's not saying it's in my nabe, but it's b in my area.....

©2014 Kim L. Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment